[Gllug] Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web site!

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 13:13:07 UTC 2007

On 06/11/2007, DL Neil <GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk> wrote:

> Quoting Chris Bell <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk>:

> >    I think that the standard M$ user is oversaturated with unbelievable
> > hype, only just able to cope with their system, and petrified with the
> > thought of having to wrestle with any other (difficult?) system.
>

> Most 'ordinary' people consider that working with a computer is
> 'difficult'.

hmm most ordinary people don't care, if there computer arrived with OS2 on
it they would not care so long as it does what they need it to.

Old story of if its not broken then don't fix it. Why are there so many
people who still use IE when firefox is available and so much better?

If we want people to use linux then we have to show.

1. Its better than windows ie more stable less likely to crash
2. everything they want will run.
3. Some extra value added they can't do with otherwise *that they actually
want to do*

The mac manages this and hence has a growing market share. Linux can do this
but its hard work to demonstrate.

Peter.