[Gllug] Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web site!

DL Neil GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 10:34:55 UTC 2007

Quoting Chris Bell <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk>:

>    I think that the standard M$ user is oversaturated with unbelievable
> hype, only just able to cope with their system, and petrified with the
> thought of having to wrestle with any other (difficult?) system.

Most 'ordinary' people consider that working with a computer is
'difficult'. Even those who have achieved a 'comfort level' know that
future progress will not come easy. This can be difficult for some of
us computer-enthusiast types to consider, given that we have adjusted
to computing concepts and paradigms almost as a way of life.

The 'learning curve' always frightens adults. Ironically as soon as
they get the idea that Linux is 'different' from Windows, people start
to shy away quite quickly. This is the reason. (school kids familiar
with Windows seldom pause for longer than seconds to get to where they
want to go under Linux - which shows that the issue is cognitive
rather than 'real'!)

Thus more powerful motivation is needed. This is where the free (as in
money) comes in. However it is only relevant when someone is about to
go out and buy a new machine - or should I say, is considering that
they need to replace an old box. So meantime any proselytising is
either a waste of time or at best a long-term investment. Even so,
many people will still perceive that it is worth paying hundreds to
buy 'more of the same' rather than having 'to find the time' to learn
something 'new'!

Unfortunately whereas most of us live on the command line, or in
editors/IDEs, email, web browser, and/or word processor; many
'consumers' are more interested in other stuff. If 'other' is browsing
images (full description avoided in deference to anti-spam measures)
then (irony?) Linux is as attractive as a centerfold - ok, joke over:
writing letters, handling email, and web-surfing is well served by
Linux. However other draws, eg games and genealogy, do not seem to be
as well served as by Windows. Has the old advice changed? 1 select the
apps, 2 the OpSys they run under, then 3 the hardware that will
support them...

Whither Linux (in the consumer's view)?

There are plenty of 'easy to learn' books on the shelves at Borders,
Books etc, WH Smith, et al; but how many are 'learn word
processing/web surfing/email on
OpenOffice/Firefox/Thunderbird/Evolution under SuSE/Fedora/Ubuntu
Linux'? That people are willing to show off documentary evidence that
they are "dummies" is slightly amazing, but there is a definite
trend/need for reassuring hand-holding. Is this the highest hurdle
remaining in the process of moving Linux onto (consumer) desktops?

Regards,
=dn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk