[Gllug] Choosing a new mobile phone

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 17:34:41 UTC 2007

--------

Phil Reynolds writes:

>I am about to choose a new mobile phone. I am looking for one with GPS
>built in, and the other major condition is that it must work OK as a
>modem in Linux.

I have similar desires (as well as a few others) in a phone, and at
this point, I can't justify going for anything other than a Nokia E90.
It's the first communicator that's a sensible size. It's the same
width and depth as my current phone (a Nokia 6680), and about 20mm
taller, which I can live with. The spec is outstanding.

I thought about a FIC Neo 1973, and tempting though it is on many
levels, it's just not right for me. The lack of a camera is a big
letdown for me. Although I never wanted a camera phone, now that
I've used one, I've been surprised by the amount of use the camera
has seen. The lack of bluetooth is also a major failing for me,
although that's coming in the next revision of the phone.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk