[Gllug] automatically starting eth0:1 after network connection lost

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Tue Nov 20 17:25:59 UTC 2007

Aaron Trevena wrote:
> I don't see any mention of the aliased device working when the DHCP
> one does - only that they share the same NIC, which I knew already.

Aliasing devices like this (ethn:m) is rather 1990s. I don't know why
people haven't caught onto using the proper 'ip' tool to replace
'ifconfig', as it supports multiple addresses per interface correctly
and without any pain. Alternatively, thanks to Linux's default
proxy-ARPiness, you can just add your alias to lo which achieves the
same result, with the bonus that lo never goes down :)

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk