[Gllug] automatically starting eth0:1 after network connection lost

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:43:27 UTC 2007

On 20/11/2007, ccooke-gllug <ccooke at gkhs.net> wrote:
> You'll find the interface definitions in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. All you need to do is create one called
> "ifcfg-eth0:1", of the form:
>
> DEVICE=eth0:1
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> IPADDR=you.ip.address
> NETMASK=you.net.mask

I have that much at the moment :)

I added the interface through the pointy-clicky-gui, saved, started -
no problem.

..then this week "network engineers" were changing the network
configuration, unplugging routers, plugging (shudder) windows servers
in, etc during which eth0:1 failed to come back up, while eth0 itself
did.

My problem was that I had to ifup eth0:1 after the network link went,
I've added ONBOOT=yes, which wasn't there before, but I can't see
anywhere in  the documentation anything about the network link being
lost.

I guess, if it's not DHCP it's not going to come back without either a
cron job or somebody at the keyboard :(

Thanks for the help,

A.

--