[Gllug] virtualisation under LTSP

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Thu Nov 15 12:56:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

Some of my users (about 8) are running old Win98 boxes which are getting
creaky (and of course they've seen their colleagues running prettier
OSs). We're a charity and funding is tight (plus I want to gradually
wean us off MS altogether) so I am looking to possibly run an LTSP
server and use their existing machines as thin clients (or buy some real
ones for a tenner from EBay).

Pretty much all their software needs can be replicated with FOSS with
the exception of a single .mdb-based app. It is essentially an Access DB
(yes I know) which is distrbuted with an exe front-end, there are no
alternative apps and in any case I'd prefer to sell this as an upgrade
(which is what it is). This app is fairly crucial to their work but not
in use allday, keeping one Win98 box around for use with this app is not
really viable. I've asked if there could be an on-line version but the
developers are slow to respond. I think they feel an online version
would reduce their cash-cow updates market.

Both WINE and Crossover baulk at this app with an Access Violation so I
am thinking about some kind of virtualisation - messy but if you have
any other ideas I am also happy to listen.

My personal choice is Qemu so what I want to know is:

* If the LTSP has Qemu installed, can I make it available to the clients?
* If so - will I need different images for each client or can I use just
the one?

Also does anybody have any idea how the Windows licencing works with
virtualisation?
The Win98 machines are OEM so I'm not sure if I can use those legally
running on LTSP and Qemu. I can probably round up WinXP licences but I
heard something about MS putting additional stuff in re: virtualisation.

Appreciate I am likely to get IANAL replies but any ideas?

ta
--
Ryan Cartwright
http://www.cafamily.org.uk/oss