[Gllug] VoIP at home, softphone, interoperability

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Nov 27 17:43:50 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 05:23:01PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> This surprises me; configuring a SIP client to use a service usually
> requires no more than a username, password and server name/address.
> I've used Twinkle (mentioned earlier in the thread) with several
> different VOIP systems and it never took more than a minute to get it
> working.

You've gotta be using a different "SIP" from the SIP I'm used to.

A basic configuration has "name", "user name", "domain", "realm",
"authentication name" and "password".  That's just for me.  Then I've
got "Registrar", "Outbound Proxy" for the server.  Now codecs turn out
the be important.  Twinkle has 5 different ones for speech, and 4
different ways of sending DTMF codes (the default one didn't work for
me -- I had to experiment to get it to work).

That doesn't cover a couple of dozen checkboxes and minor switches.

Voicemail, hold and other features have another giant selection.  In
fact, I've never got voicemail notification to work properly, although
if I remember the right number to call and the PIN then I can at least
now log in to my voicemail and pick up the messages.  Way to go, all
the usability of a regular phone.

	****** AND IT'S STILL USING NUMBERS!!! *******

Is this the 1890s?  Do I need to remember a NUMBER to call someone!!
I've got a keyboard here and at least 3/4s of it has these things
called "letters" where I can type "words".

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat