[Gllug] VoIP at home, softphone, interoperability

Tue Nov 27 20:38:58 UTC 2007

Rich Walker wrote:
> Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 12:33:25PM +0000, David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
>>> Interoperability: us on Linux, them on Windows, likely using Skype,
>>> NetMeeting, or Google Talk. Some talk to each other, others require the
>>> same at each end. Guess I could recommend they install 'something else'
>>> under Windows to be compatible with what we install, but you know
>>> families...
>> Much as I'm loathed to say it, Skype is still the only softphone which
>> is easy to use.
>
> Make sure you get the V2 beta - the old version doesn't like ALSA very much.

Thanks for this.

I wondered if the underpinnings might hang me up...
I'm building my first Linux box from scratch. So far the 'extensive'
multimedia installation I've been able to manage is getting Kaffeine to
play DVDs and Xine for audio CDs. Um, full stop.
(OpenSuSE 10.1, 64-bit, Gnome).

>From reading it seems that 64-bit plus anything approaching multimedia
is mapped under 'here be dragons'. Anything else I should watch out for?

Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk