[Gllug] Uh oh, ministers consider "anti file-sharing laws"

Iain Conochie iain at shihad.org
Fri Oct 26 09:43:48 UTC 2007

> Actually, non-human animals do not have the concept of property in the
> sense we're talking abut it. As Adam Smith pointed out, it's only
> humans who have a 'propensity to truck and barter'.
>
> The assumption in this discussion is that property is something that
> can be alienated, that can be sold, taken or given away, and something
> to which you can claim a right. This is not generally true (especially
> the selling and rights bits) with, say, an animal's territory,

Then again there have been human societies that have had no concept of
"ownership" of land (maori's of New Zealand spring to mind), and as such
could reasonable have been described to have been "ripped off" of the
colonialists who "bought" the land from them, when the maori's were of
the opinion that the colonialists were wanting to use it for their
lifetime.

Also chimps have been taught how to perform simple tasks (work) to gain
access to tokens (money) which they can use (trade) to gain food. This
can be viewed as the basis for a money economy.

I would also like to point out that, IMHO just because money and
property rights are "man made" as such (we define their place in
society) and as such are social realities, this does not justify the tag
of being un-natural. They are a part of the natural world, just as the
market economy is a natural state

Cheers

Iain
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk