[Gllug] Linux Certification Opinions or facts please?

kerneljack kerneljack at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 09:53:42 UTC 2007

I was hoping you guys could help me understand what someone who has
some linux/unix administration experience but does a completely
different day job should do to get into a sysadmin type profession?

I thought I might start by doing some certs, so I have passed LPI
level 1 certification, but should I continue on to level 2 or not?
This thread has made me think that may be RHCE is a better route to
take?

Just to let you know my experience, I have setup apache/mysql,
mailservers with postfix, cvs servers, some bind and ntp, and I've
done this on linux (debian, some redhat), some openbsd and a lot of
osx server. I have also written bash/perl/python scripts for things
like backup, etc. i have done these things in a commercial environment
but not on a daily basis.

Any help appreciated.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk