[Gllug] Cheap Linux PC, I'll get me coat

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Oct 22 19:15:53 UTC 2007

On 22 Oct 2007, Jason Clifford said:

> On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 10:32 +0100, Gundemarie Scholz wrote:
>> The only Tesco PC I looked at closely had stickers on the case claiming
>> that if you open the case and fiddle about with the innards the warranty
>> would be void. Does a disclaimer like that have any legal significance,
>> or is it just to scare people off?
>
> It is totally unenforceable and may actually be unlawful in itself as an
> attempt to disclaim a warranty required by law given that PCs are
> designed to be easily upgradable.

It's probably a defence mechanism against people like me, who can't open
a PC without shorting it out. There's no reason why Tesco should be
required to replace under warranty something that was damaged by user
error.

(Nonetheless, doing it by banning opening the case is overbroad and
somehwat ridiculous.)

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk