[Gllug] Combining SMB and NFS - was Embedded Linux & 1Gbps?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Oct 18 20:11:56 UTC 2007

On 18 Oct 2007, Rich Walker told this:

> Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:
>

>>  - Lack of local caching of unchanging files. This is an implementation
>>    thing, thankfully being fixed in the Linux implementation by cachefs.
>>    It probably can't be done reliably *and* efficiently in NFS<4 without
>>    another bag on the side of the protocol (like lockd is), because you
>>    need to take out a lease on all locally cached files or in some other
>>    way arrange to be notified when they are changed on the server or by
>>    other clients.
>
> I can't find cachefs packaged for Debian - am I missing something?

It's a still-being-worked-on kernel patch, not a userspace thing (not
least because changing credentials appropriately for all the cached
files' users is nontrivial when SELinux is involved).

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk