[Gllug] Uh oh, ministers consider "anti file-sharing laws"

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Oct 26 00:02:52 UTC 2007

On 25 Oct 2007, Panos Savvas stated:

> pressumably someone dedicated time and effort to create the vase where as
> you have not. does this give you the same rights over the object?
> essentially you are using someone elses work to better you life. I suppose

You are currently breathing the air. It may well be that someone
dedicated time and effort to planting the plants that contributed the oxygen
that you are breathing.

How could you think of not compensating them?

(i.e., there is such a thing as a commons, and in a world with cheap
matter duplication it is quite plausible that the physical form of
objects (as opposed to the objects themselves) could come to be
considered a commons.)

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk