[Gllug] Desktop and Workstation suppliers in the London area

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 05:03:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 10:59 +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:

> I recently bought 3 PCs from Dell to run Linux on however I'm not
> recommending Dell as 1 of them crashes with a hardware fault within 1
> hour of being powered on (sometimes within 1 minute!) and they are
> refusing to accept that there is a hardware problem, despite my having
> proved no software fault. :(

Their call centre staff do nothing for their reputation.

I had a similar intermittant fault with a "Precision Workstation", and
phoned for assistance under warranty (it was only 4 weeks old).  After
wasting 45 minutes talking to a robotic Indian, I gave up.

I then phoned again, and told them that it "went bang" and was dead (a
screwdriver through the grille of the power supply saw to that!).  They
shipped a replacement within 24 hours, and collected the dead machine.
The second unit has performed flawlessly, so the first was just a rogue.

Their script robots don't seem to understand the word "intermittant",
and assume all "faults" are being reported by clueless Windows users and
are due to malware.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk