[Gllug] Batch Text Replacement

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Tue Oct 30 09:52:28 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 05:39:53PM +0100, Cillian wrote:
> It's not entirely clear from the site but you can possibly use fuseftp
> to mount your ftp site locally:
> http://wiki.thiesen.org/page/Fuseftp
>
> If you can use sftp you can use sshfs as already mentioned.

I don't it would be a good idea to use those; it would be much more
inefficient and slow than using local copies and network problems could
leave the ftp site contents in an inconsistent state.  A
file-scanning/editing tool may seek back and forwards within a file in a
way that only loads part of the file into memory, but the fuseftp
emulation would require a full read or write of the entire file each
time.

Copy the files locally, take advantage of the extra backup which this
provides.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"