[Gllug] Cheap Linux PC, I'll get me coat

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Sun Oct 21 09:43:01 UTC 2007

dick_turpin wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Check out these Linux based units from Tesco's of all people!
>
> http://direct.tesco.com/search/default.aspx?search=esys&confirm.x=0&confirm.y=0
>
> Looks like my days as a reseller are numbered I'll have to get a job as a
> ring-and-ride bus driver :-(

Wow, that is impressive,
  The Intel unit is £140 and comes with a 2.66 Ghz Intel Celeron, DVD
ROM drive, 80Gb HD, 256 Mb RAM and integrated Video and Audio.
  Only real drawback I see is the 256 Mb RAM.

The AMD unit is £190 and comes with a 1.9 Ghz Dual Processor AMD 3600
Athlon 64 x2, DVD Rewriter, 80gb HD, 512 Mb RAM, Integrated Video and Audio.
  Again, RAM is the drawback.

RAM is cheap though so for another £35 you can get 2 x 1Gb RAM from
Overclockers.  Though you average Tesco shopper would not know this or
how to install it themselves.

Still, the cheapest Dual Processor bundle (no case, no drive, etc) from
Overclockers starts at £200+

Andrew
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk