[Gllug] Combining SMB and NFS - was Embedded Linux & 1Gbps?

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Wed Oct 17 15:38:40 UTC 2007

Hi

Tom Weissmann wrote:
> nautilus - "less nasty" than having the remote share automounted so that
>   *any* app can access its contents transparently?

It's all fun and games until you need root to mount a remote share.
That's not practical everywhere.

Also I noticed some confusion about my previous reply.

gnome-vfs DOES NOT mount remote shares. They are accessed entirely by
userspace libraries. That is why you would see nothing in /media/ or
/mnt/. Only applications that link against the gnome-vfs libraries are
able to read the shares this way.

I believe the GNOME people are moving to something that will allow local
mounting with FUSE, but most of the default GNOME apps are able to use
gnome-vfs, so it's not often a huge problem.

I've certainly been able to edit images with gimp via smb shares before
- I would browse the share in nautilus, right click on the image and
tell it to open in GIMP. Or, if I was on an Active Directory network, I
would tell nautilus to "mount" the share (remember, as above, it's not
actually mounted) and open files from it with gimp's normal file
requester (which shows nautilus "mounted" shares along with bookmarks
and local drives).

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones