[Gllug] Combining SMB and NFS - was Embedded Linux & 1Gbps?

Tom Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 15:57:36 UTC 2007

Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> Tom Weissmann wrote:
>> nautilus - "less nasty" than having the remote share automounted so that
>>   *any* app can access its contents transparently?
>
> It's all fun and games until you need root to mount a remote share.
> That's not practical everywhere.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be necessary. Automounting CDs works
without the user needing to be root, so why shouldn't automounting samba
shares?

IMO a remote file system that requires you to make local copies of files
in order to edit is not a remote file system worth having. You might as
well use flickr to store your photos.

Similarly, cool userspace file protocols like KIO are severely limited
because only some applications can actually use the "file systems" they
create. Seems like a great way to break the *nix philosophy that
everything is a file - "everything is a file, sometimes".

Regards,
Tom SW

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk