[Gllug] Change the primary monitor for xorg and the console

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Oct 4 12:07:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 06:12:36PM +0100, Tom Weissmann wrote:
> I bought a new monitor yesterday because my "lap"-top has no screen and
> I was sick of using a 1024x768 CRT.
>
> I discovered a couple of interesting facts. The first being, it's really
> really irritating not having a text console. If anything goes wrong at
> boot time there's not much I can do about it. Is there any way, perhaps
> configuring the framebuffer, that I can get output on the external
> monitor before X starts?

On IBM thinkpads there's an option in the BIOS to tell it whether to
send the video signal to the built-in LCD, or external VGA or both
at boot time. You're kinda doomed if you can't see the BIOS though :-(
Depending on the ACPI support you might be able to cat magic value
into a file under /proc/acpi/video/ to change which output is active
which should affect both text/framebuffer and X unless X is configured
explicitly.

Dan.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk