[Gllug] Change the primary monitor for xorg and the console

Tom Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 17:12:36 UTC 2007

I bought a new monitor yesterday because my "lap"-top has no screen and
I was sick of using a 1024x768 CRT.

I discovered a couple of interesting facts. The first being, it's really
really irritating not having a text console. If anything goes wrong at
boot time there's not much I can do about it. Is there any way, perhaps
configuring the framebuffer, that I can get output on the external
monitor before X starts?

The second interesting this was that using the monitor on Windows XP was
actually more of a nightmare that on Linux.

On Linux "all" I had to do was browse the internet for half an hour to
find out how to create modeline entries for xorg.conf, ssh into my
craptop and tweak xorg.conf until I got it working.

On Windows, all I had to do was follow LG's clicky-click instructions on
installing a driver, fiddle around with the display settings
(right-click on an empty part of the desktop) and voila! a greenish
1024x768 image on my new widescreen monitor, and the blue screen of
death every few minutes.

My question, apart from how to fend off my girlfriend's claims that I
screwed up her computer on purpose to make Windows look bad, is if it's
possible to tell X or the graphics card driver to completely ignore the
primary monitor and only consider the external monitor?

Have a good evening,
Tom SW
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk