[Gllug] rm file with weird chars

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Oct 5 07:55:27 UTC 2007

On 5 Oct 2007, Panos Savvas said:

>>Try the below that will help you get rid of the file.  You find the
>>inode number and then delete the file using its inode number
>>ls -li
>
> thanks for the suggestion. unfortunately this returns:
> $ ls -li
> total 0
> ??--------- ? ? ? ?                ? ΣΤÎ? Î?Î?Î?ΡΤÎ? ΤÎ?Σ
> ΦÎ?Î?ΤÎ?ΣÎ?Î?Σ [ 01 ΡÎ?Î?Î?Σ feat.Î?Î?Î?Î¥Î?Î?ΡÎ?Î?
> Î?ΡÎ?Î?Î?Î?ΤÎ?Î?Î?] ΦÎ?Î?Î?Î?Î?Î? (Î?Î?Î? Î?Î?Î?Î?Î? Î?Î?Î?ΣÎ?Î?Σ
> ΣÎ?Î¥ Î?ΥΤÎ?Σ).mp3

Judging by the ?? in the *permissions bits*, I think you may need to
fsck.

However, this may equally be caused by terminal-control escape bits in
that filename. Try `ls -lib' to convert them all to octal numeric
strings instead.

>> The following website suggests using a combination of ls -i and find.
>> http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/faq/questions/files-remove.html
>
> the suggestions here also failed:
> s$ find . -inum 0 -ok rm '{}' \;

If it's listing inode number 0, you *definitely* have filesystem
corruption. fsck.

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk