[Gllug] not so great hacker/tech movies

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Fri Oct 5 23:53:50 UTC 2007

Panos Savvas wrote:
> I finally got around to watching Ocean's 13 last night.
> Is it just me or is the Hollywood techno bable getting more and more bizarre
>
> A few other hilarious "tech" thrillers
> Die Hard 4: "Oh no they have stolen the Internet"
> The Core: "We need you to control the flow of Information on the Internet
> while we jump start the Earth"
> Swordfish: "Let me just find my virus. Ok I have released it.... Come on
> come on come on.... I'm in!"
>
> Any others?

As someone has said the bit in disclosure is hilarious. I also like the
way the e-mail looks totally unlike any real world e-mail client - just
in case. :o)

I love the ones set in the near future and the only tech-advance they
come up with always some kind of virtual reality interface.

Tom Clancy has a good pedigree in this field. Clear and Present Danger
where Jack Ryan hacks into another guys computer and prints off evidence.

But nothing is as bad as Net Force. Terrible book, even worse TV movie
where the main plot ends with the President of the USA having a set of
codes which can turn off the Internet.

It's redeeming feature is the bad guy, the major software company CEO
called William Stiles who wants to get his browser on every computer.

nah scrap that , it cannot be redeemed.

Ryan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk