[Gllug] Combining SMB and NFS - was Embedded Linux & 1Gbps?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Oct 17 11:08:34 UTC 2007

Matthew King wrote:

> On which note - is anyone aware of anything which is better than NFS,
> for varying values of 'better'?

You called?
Panasas - parallel, object-based filesystem. Runs on BSD hardware, over
an iSCSI transport. The director blades take care of metadata serving,
and also act as pretty good NFS and Samba servers should you have other
boxes, ie. Unix boxes or Windows PCs wishing to access the data.
Each storage blade is an iSCSI target, and has two drives in a software
RAID stripe. Scales like crazy, and adding new capacity is as simple as
adding in new storage blades, which are automatically recognised and
installed. Distributed sparing, ie unlike a RAID array an individual
blade (blades) are not left as hot spares - you have a 'high water mark'
and leave space to reconstruct if a blade fails. Demand led
reconstruction - ie. the files which are being asked for are at the
front of the queue.
Failover clustering of three or more director blades if you have them.
Files are held on the filesystem as either mirrored (small files) or a
RAID 5 (that's on a per-file basis). Rock-solid cache coherency.
We have Lustre installations on several sites, and I'm a Panasas
certified engineer.

We  have Lustre deployments on site http://www.clusterfs.com/
and are currently building Lustre for a big university.
Lustre grew out of the same project as Panasas, and has the same concept
of metadata server(s) and Object Storage Targets.
Our Lustre build includes Linux-HA type failover of the metadata server
(pull the plug, it keeps on going).

BTW, Real Men (TM) talk Parallel NFS these days, and would not know what
to do with a plate of quiche.
http://www.pnfs.com/

ps. Could get someone from Panasas to do a technical talk at a GLLUG if
there is interest.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk