[Gllug] Combining SMB and NFS - was Embedded Linux & 1Gbps?

Tom Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 11:10:17 UTC 2007

DL Neil wrote:

> However having Windows machines on the same home network I have only
> set up Samba shares on Linux machines (and native Windows shares on
> the Windows systems - running MS-only apps). Then I discovered that
> some Linux applications (GIMP ? Open Office) don't like to edit files
> across the network/protocol. Oops!

They work fine with networked files as long as the network share is
actually mounted.

Gimp will have no problem with /media/my-samba-server/files/edit-me.jpg
but will choke on smb:/my-samba-server/files/edit-me.jpg

KDE's smb4k application lets you mount and unmount samba shares, perhaps
there is a Gnome equivalent. Otherwise there's always smbmount.

Cheeers,

Tom SW
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk