[Gllug] Dell poweredge 4400 - Not seeing drives (even in BIOS utility)

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Oct 24 17:46:51 UTC 2007

Aaron Trevena wrote:
> Hi People,
>
> I bought a (very cheap) used dell poweredge 4400 with  7 SCSI disks -
> 3 * 4GB, 4 * 32GB all Seagate Cheetahs.
>
> But it seems that no matter which ones I put in, or in what order they
> are never found/recognised by either software or the Adeptec SCSI bios
> - The system was being used  up to when I bought it and there are no
> signs of errors - all the lights are green, no funny noises,
> everything looks ok, but the drives don't seem to be recognised, I've
> even checked the connections and they all look fine.
>
> Help??!?!
>
> A.

This sounds suspiciously like a power problem.  Are the drives spinning
up and/or showing lights?  They may not spin up but still receive power
as many of the fancier server drives don't spin up until they get a
command.  This way you don't have 10 drives drawing starting power at
the same time and killing the PSU.

Andrew
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk