[Gllug] Uh oh, ministers consider "anti file-sharing laws"

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Oct 25 12:30:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 11:58:07AM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Jason Clifford wrote:
> > Fundamental to the concept of theft is deprivation of the object
>
> Rubbish.  Money gets routinely stolen without any physical object
> changing hands.
>
> Is hacking into a bank and transferring money elsewhere somehow a lesser
> form of stealing than, say, taking a wallet from a locker, just because
> nothing physical was involved?  "Wealth infringement" perhaps?

This is entirely different because if I transfer funds out of
your account, then you no longer have the money.

If I hack into the bank's database and just credit my account, then
I'm reducing the value of everyone's money (essentially I'm creating
inflation and stealing from everyone).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones