[Gllug] Linux Certification Opinions or facts please?

Alexandre de Abreu alexandre.abreu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 11:59:37 UTC 2007

Hi James,

I do agree with you: I do not expect any qualification to substitute
for experience.

That's why everybody says that earning a certification is easier when
you have experience, experienced professionals only have to read IBM
articles about LPI certification* in order to pass LPIC-1, differently
from users who only want to pass without experience, these are full of
doubts, books, man pages, examples, etc. to read and understand.

I earned LPI Cert level I and II in 2003, but I believe they are only
asking about 2.6 kernels now. There is a Wiki content about the
certification development, you can found a maillist there, maybe there
will be more information about that. I was searching for that and
found some Wiki books**, maybe interesting.

Anyway, IMHO, if you think about investment, think about RHCE, your
staff will learn more.

Regards,

Alexandre

* http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/views/linux/libraryview.jsp?topic_by=All+topics+and+related+products&sort_order=asc&lcl_sort_order=asc&search_by=lpi+exam+topic&search_flag=true&type_by=Tutorials&show_abstract=true&start_no=1&sort_by=Title&end_no=100&show_all=false&S_TACT=105AGX03&S_CMP=LPLINUX
** http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LPI_Linux_Certification

On 19/10/2007, James Roberts <jr at stabilys.com> wrote:
> A suitably chastened Egonfaz asks:
>
> 1. Does anyone know (preferably from direct experience) whether the LPI
> certifications are now up-to-date (for example, referring to later
> kernels than 2.2)?
>
> 2. Is the possession of the qualification of any value?
>
> I am attempting to fix a training regime for our trainees and want them
> to have something of use to them when they leave our employ (which some
> day they will).
>
> I do not expect any qualification to substitute for experience.
>
> Thanks for any comments.
>
> MeJ/Egonfaz
> --

Alexandre de Abreu