[Gllug] Combining SMB and NFS - was Embedded Linux & 1Gbps?

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Wed Oct 17 12:17:49 UTC 2007

Hi

Tom Weissmann wrote:
> Gimp will have no problem with /media/my-samba-server/files/edit-me.jpg
> but will choke on smb:/my-samba-server/files/edit-me.jpg

If you're running gnome and a sane distro you should have gimp compiled
against gnome-vfs, which will allow you to open files from remote shares
such as smb.

(Note for gutsy users, for various reasons the dependencies on
gimp-gnomevfs slipped through the cracks, so you'll probably need to
install it manually)

> KDE's smb4k application lets you mount and unmount samba shares, perhaps
> there is a Gnome equivalent. Otherwise there's always smbmount.

Nautilus is able to browse networks and "mount" devices, but it uses
gnome-vfs.

I'm sure there are gtk based apps which will call smbmount (presumably
what smb4k does), but it's a fairly nasty solution. I'd rather browse it
with nautilus and copy the file locally.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net