[Gllug] Linux Certification Opinions or facts please?

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Tue Oct 23 08:11:46 UTC 2007

kerneljack wrote:
> Thanks for all your replies. I hope sysadmin work is not as scary as
> John describes :-)
>
> I have worked at an IT helpdesk in the past and in general it was
> quite pleasant; just the odd rude user would pop in once in a while. I
> genuinely enjoyed helping people and fixing all their problems. Even
> where I am right now, I am always the guy who is called upon to fix
> computer / network problems.
>
> I am thinking about the RHCE, it seems like a more hands-on exam,
> which will be much nicer than all those fill-in-the blank type
> questions I got with LPI.

The RHCE is entirely hands-on

If you choose to do this, make sure you're fully prepared for the test,
It's not a cheap exam to take, particularly if you are paying out of
your own pocket. These are worth reading:

https://www.redhat.com/training/rhce/rhce_faq.html

https://www.redhat.com/training/rhce/examprep.html

These give you a good rundown on the structure of the exam and the list
of topics that could come up.

If you are considering a training course rather than just an
examination, try the preassessment questionnaires first. (There's a link
on the main RH training page).

The RH300 rapid-track is precisely that. Do not take it unless 80% or
more of the material is already familiar. I have seen too many people
take the course because they couldn't justify the cost of 2 slower-paced
courses. This is probably a false economy
I must admit to a certain bias, here, of course. (RHCX == Red Hat
Certified Examiner)

Regards

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA RHCX
To err is human, to forgive is Not Company Policy.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk