[Gllug] not so great hacker/tech movies

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Fri Oct 5 19:27:21 UTC 2007

Christian Smith wrote:
> Panos Savvas uttered:
>

>> I finally got around to watching Ocean's 13 last night.
>> Is it just me or is the Hollywood techno bable getting more and more bizarre
>>
>> A few other hilarious "tech" thrillers
>> Die Hard 4: "Oh no they have stolen the Internet"
>> The Core: "We need you to control the flow of Information on the Internet
>> while we jump start the Earth"
>> Swordfish: "Let me just find my virus. Ok I have released it.... Come on
>> come on come on.... I'm in!"
>>
>> Any others?
>>

> How about the Tarantino CSI where Nick is buried alive with a webcam feed.
> Why not just ask the ISP who has the IP address of the webcam. Easier than
> the method they otherwise used to locate him.
>
> CSI defintely has some of the worse IT. IP addresses like
> 1035.123.12.5221.

I actually have to accept IP addresses like this.  However I would like
to see them standardize on an IP range that is unreachable, kinda like
the 555-XXXX telephone numbers Holywood use as there are no 555 numbers
in use in the USA (well, ok, 555-1212 which is like the 118 numbers
here).  Maybe even go with some IP address range like 256.x.x.x (yes, I
know it is invalid, but atleast it looks good to most people in the
world) or go a bit more obvious with 3xx.xxx.xxx.xxx which would again
be obvious to those in the know, but still look ok to the general public.

Andrew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk