[Gllug] LLU / ADSL

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 20 17:30:01 UTC 2007

On Thu 20 Sep, Minty wrote:

> Is it true that even if your telephone exchange is LLU, you still need
> a BT line (and monthly line rental) to get ADSL from a non BT LLU
> supplier?
>
> This is what BeThere just told me.
>
> I'm wondering if the line rental is thus effectively the charge for
> the copper from the exchange to the house.  Using an LLU supplier
> means they deal with the network from the exchange to the rest of the
> world, but they don't want to deal with the "last mile", thus I must
> rent that from BT regardless.  True?
>
> (Dull, all-to-common story of) Background:
>
> Moving to a house currently without a BT line, so say BT.  Plenty of
> neighbours with BT lines, so I conclude previous cable installation
> snipped the BT line away.
>
> Struggling to get BT to arrange a visit to connect the wires.  Hours
> on hold to be told they'll call me back, and thus far haven't.  We're
> not talking a remote location here either.  (~1620 ft as the crow
> flies to the exchange, ~3000 ft if you walk the road)
>
> So I thought LLU might be a way to escape BT altogether?
>
> fwiw, I'm rejecting Virgin cable because my experiences are their
> internet service is slow and patchy and does my blood pressure no
> good.  I really like/want the service from UKFSN, I'm just struggling
> with the BT up-stream dependency atm.

   Is BeThere now owned by BT anyway? I understand that unless a working BT
connection is transferred immediately to a new customer, the copper pair may
be taken by another customer and records of any previous connection are
lost. There may even be a queue for copper pairs in some areas, so the pair
may be turned into two subscribers lines and shared earth (sorry, unable to
remember the correct name, could be DACS).
   I see that there may be an official push for fibre to cover the last mile.

Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk