[Gllug] No Expo this year

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Wed Sep 5 12:16:22 UTC 2007

Steven Goodwin wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 11:58:23AM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> john levin wrote:
>>> If only there were something like LUG Radio Live in London.
>
> Does anyone have any insider contacts with LUG Radio Live to know
> if/when they'd do London?

Doubt London is on their agenda; they're all from
Wolverhampton/Birmingham, though they are doing an event in the States
in March next year

>> There are enough people on this list, and in London to make such an event
>> happen. It all boils down to getting a few people together and driving it.
>
> I hear ya! So given the recent attendance to Gllug talks, how do we:
>
> 1. Get quality speakers to attend
> 2. Get a quantative audience to attend

This is London; there must be enough of both.

> If there's no commercial event, then you're only likely to get the geeks
> attending, anyway. Especially if it's on a weekend. (This would lead to
> limited sponsorship opportunities.)

Oh, I'm sure Red Hat would drown us in T-shirts, and Ubuntu in CDs. Lug
Radio Live had numerous stalls (OReilly, ORG, Kubuntu and Ubuntu, Linux
Emporium etc) - some were free, some paid for I think. I think there are
enough small companies based in London looking for exposure to put their
hands in their pockets. A fiver on the door and it should easily break even.

> Just thinking out loud...

Getting more enamoured of the idea the more I think about it.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk