[Gllug] No Expo this year

Pete Stean peteste at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 5 11:59:18 UTC 2007

Well I was at LUGRadio Live this year - it is rather laddish (and
admittedly, laddette-ish lol) but it is a lot of fun, and they do have a
couple of exhibitors - O'Reilly being the major one this year.

The event itself is very well organised IMHO although it's community driven
- you're never left without something to do during the day, and they had
some very impressive speakers this year, inlcuding Chris DiBona (opensource
manager from Google) who they convinced to stay for the entire weekend...
mind you, Jono Bacon does work for Canonical so I imagine that gave them
some clout when it came to finding speakers etc...

Personally I love it, and I love the LUGRadio podcast, and I'll deffo be
going back again next year... shame it's the only significant
community-based podcast and event in the UK, which I've always felt rather
embarrassed about given we're in the capital (mind you, I'm from Wolves so I
can't help but wish them well with it)

Pete

On 05/09/07, Steven Goodwin <steev at tuls.pauken.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 11:58:23AM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > john levin wrote:
> > > If only there were something like LUG Radio Live in London.
>
> Does anyone have any insider contacts with LUG Radio Live to know
> if/when they'd do London?
>
> > There are enough people on this list, and in London to make such an
> event
> > happen. It all boils down to getting a few people together and driving
> it.
>
> I hear ya! So given the recent attendance to Gllug talks, how do we:
>
> 1. Get quality speakers to attend
> 2. Get a quantative audience to attend
>
> If there's no commercial event, then you're only likely to get the geeks
> attending, anyway. Especially if it's on a weekend. (This would lead to
> limited sponsorship opportunities.)
>
> Just thinking out loud...
>
> --

'In letters of gold, on a snow-white kite, I will write "I Love You!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!'

RIP Billy M 1957-1997