[Gllug] MP3 player recomendations

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 11:03:29 UTC 2007

On Mon 03 Sep, Nix wrote:

> On 3 Sep 2007, Chris Bell told this:
>
> > On Sun 02 Sep, Nix wrote:
> >> (of course I've got crap amplitude response to make up for it, *sigh*)
> >
> >    Most people will be able to hear the result of one speaker out of a set
> > reverse-connected, but are you one of the small minority that claims to be
> > able to distinguish the absolute phase of sound, so complain if all the
> > speakers are reverse-connected, even if they are all the same way round?
>
> Nope: I can only hear phase differences and I doubt very much that
> anything else is possible or even makes conceptual sense. (It's not as
> if absolute phase detection has a blind bit of use, unlike phase
> difference detection which is a critical part of determining sound
> direction. What's more, how can you even tell? I mean, the thing is
> oscillating at hundreds of Hz anyway...)

   Some sounds, such as from a stringed instrument played using a bow, have
a triangular sawtooth waveform, and some people claim to be able to
distinguish between absolute phases when they are present. It would need
some exceptional equipment to even reproduce the waveforms accurately, but
that sort of equipment does exist.
   One friend was asked to devise a system to obtain and record undistorted
the exact waveform produced by an explosion, to be used to analyse the
progress and efficiency of the explosion.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk