[Gllug] BT "21st century network"

Pete Stean peteste at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 10 10:12:49 UTC 2007

The big BT project, 21CN, is a strategy based around laying new (or indeed
lighting up existing) fibre:

http://www.btplc.com/21CN/Whatis21CN/BTsstrategyandkeyobjectives/index.htm

Not sure what the implications are for the home consumer yet though...

Pete

On 10/09/2007, Chris Bell <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>   I have just been looking for any new information at the www.btplc.com
> website. It tells me very little apart from their plan to upgrade my phone
> line within the next 12 months. It says it should not stop my current
> analogue phones from working, but not whether I will soon be able to use
> digital-only phones and should avoid the purchase of analogue equipment.
>   I could set up an Asterisk system, but should I wait for a new series of
> line interface cards or just investigate VOIP? I like the idea that my
> phone
> will still work after a total local power loss, but that seems to be a
> lower
> priority with the advent of mobile phones (but try getting a mobile phone
> connect when there is a large local public event or a full emergency such
> as
> local flooding. I have been to previous events such as the Open Golf where
> temporary mobile mast was used to connect many thousands of mobile phones
> the very few outgoing lines).
>
> --
> Chris Bell
>
> --

'In letters of gold, on a snow-white kite, I will write "I Love You!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!'

RIP Billy M 1957-1997