[Gllug] [OT] SSH or VPN?

Tom Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 17:17:59 UTC 2007

This isn't a specifically Linux question but I've noticed SSH is more
common on *nix.

Our clients like us to be able to dial in a fix things on their system,
but they are suitably paranoid; since they let us connect using a VPN,
they stipulate that any computer on their VPN must be completely
disconnected from our network.

This effectively removes our access from important information, unless
we work off two computers at once, and I was wondering if the following
was viable:

- the client runs an SSH server
- we connect to their SSH server and specify the host we want
- their server forwards the host's port 3389 to us
- we connect with Windows Remote Desktop Connection (or VNC and a
different port).

Could this be done, and securely?

Thanks for your help,
Tom Weissmann