[Gllug] [OT] SSH or VPN?

Ziya Suzen ziya at suzen.net
Wed Sep 26 21:47:14 UTC 2007

On 9/26/07, Tom Weissmann <trmsw at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> - the client runs an SSH server

You can use the infamous cygwin libraries or some solution using
cygwin here. But after I had a few problems started using
http://www.freesshd.com/ and it's been OK so far.

> - we connect to their SSH server and specify the host we want
> - their server forwards the host's port 3389 to us
> - we connect with Windows Remote Desktop Connection (or VNC and a
> different port).

Yep, no problem. This is a pretty common scenario for SSH.

> Could this be done, and securely?

Now, there is a question without any satisfactory answer. I would say
yes, but can you sell it to your clients? Well, you can present a few
arguments:

* use public key authentication
* use 4096 bit keys
* + good passpharase, key storage etc. policies

-ziya
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk