[Gllug] Wireless not playing nicely with bridge

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 12:42:32 UTC 2007

On 9/17/07, Chris Jones <cmsj at tenshu.net> wrote:

> If you're going to specify the interface as "static" you need to provide
> things like the IP address, hence the error.

Well, the whole point of an ethernet bridge is that the interfaces
bound to it do  not have an IP of their own - they use  the IP of the
bridge.  Normally one wouldn't specify the interface itself at all in
the interfaces config, but I needed to supply the wireless essid.

I did try using 'manual' method for the ifupdown declaration, but that
didn't work either.

> I imagine you actually want "dhcp"

For security reasons, I insist that wireless cards have static IP addresses.

I've tried ditching the Debian configuration mechanism altogether and
doing the whole lot manually.

>From an unconfigured network:

$ brctl addbr br0
$ brctl addif br0 eth1
$ ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0
$ ifconfig br0 10.0.0.110
$ iwconfig eth1 essid unsecured
$ route add default gw 10.0.0.138

Iwconfig shows eth1 has a signal, ifconfig shows the ip details, and
the routing table is correct.  But I still cannot connect to any
machine on the subnet.

Upon removing the bridge and configuring just eth1, it works.

What am I missing?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk