[Gllug] Wireless not playing nicely with bridge

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 13:53:28 UTC 2007

On Mon 17 Sep, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:

> Well, the whole point of an ethernet bridge is that the interfaces
> bound to it do  not have an IP of their own - they use  the IP of the
> bridge.  Normally one wouldn't specify the interface itself at all in
> the interfaces config, but I needed to supply the wireless essid.
>

> What am I missing?
>
> S.

   I have used the Debian ethernet bridge control system several times. The
bridge itself does not require an IP address to function, although it will
be allocated one to enable administrative access to the bridge itself. The
bridge tables work in ways similar to net tables / iptables, and authorised
packets are silently transferred unchanged between ports. The bridge is
transparent to authorised traffic between authorised ports, and will not
affect any security identification proceedures at source or destination.
   Commercial bridges that I have seen work in exactly the same way.

Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk