[Gllug] SIGSEGV error

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sat Sep 1 12:14:45 UTC 2007

--------

Nix writes:

>I'd prefer C to move to requiring decent indentation so that I could
>really whale on those idiots among my coworkers who believe that it's
>up to *other* people to indent properly; they can just slam their code
>straight down the left-hand margin for `speed'.

The current target for my loathing when it comes to indentation
is emacs. Most of us in the office use vi. But my boss uses emacs,
which has an incredibly unpleasant habit of mixing tabs and spaces
when indenting[1]. Everyone knows that tabs are the one true indentation
method[2]. Spaces are OK if you absolutely have to. But mixing both?
That's a cardinal sin, and can never be forgiven.

As for C, you could always hack the version control system to beautify
the code before checkin[3]. I've done that before, and it works
remarkably well. No matter how badly the original author screwed up
their indenting, providing your beautifier can handle it (and GNU
indent does a pretty good job), you never get to see the mess when
it comes to editing it yourself.

Tet

[1] This may just be a feature of the erlang and python modes he uses.
    I try and avoid emacs where possible, so I don't know if it does
    it out of the box.
[2] Yes, JWZ is wrong about that.
[3] I'm a big fan of distributed version control, but this is one of
    the few areas where a centralised system has some advantages.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk