[Gllug] SIGSEGV error

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Sep 2 08:52:17 UTC 2007

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 01:31:44AM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 1 Sep 2007, Richard Jones uttered the following:
> > Common LISP?  (Unfortunately the good LISP compilers are all
> > commercial,
>
> SBCL is pretty damned good, and Free.
>
> >             and the language itself is truly strange[*]).
>
> Nah. *elisp* is truly strange. cl is just, well, a bucket of features
> with a big ball of mud thrown at it :)
>
> > [*] I wrote a FORTH interpreter from scratch last weekend for kicks --
> > that really _is_ a strange language.
>
> A language I Really Must Learn. It's been on the todo list for, oh,
> fifteen years now. One of these days I'll get around to it.

LISP & FORTH ... in some ways LISP is the self-hosting high level
language and FORTH is the self-hosting low level language.  I suggest
reading:

http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst/lina.html
  (grab the tarball and fish out the files ci86.lina.asm & .html)

The concept of indirect threaded code isn't explained well anywhere,
but once you "get it" you'll understand how the code in ^^ is
implemented.

And:

http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/doc/IOCCC/1992/buzzard.2.design

I'm still playing with my FORTH, trying to get it down to something
elegant -- the minimum amount of assembler, but without being so
minimal as to be confusing.  Then I'll put it up on my site.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat