[Gllug] Automating the build of a minimal kernel

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Sep 12 18:10:31 UTC 2007

A long time ago, I used to build kernels specifically tailored to the
hardware on which they were intended to run.  Just the right drivers for
the actual NIC, sound card, etc.  On a dual PII 450 system I could build
the kernel in about 5 minutes.

Nowadays the kernel is much, much bigger, and even the job of whittling
down the configuration file is too much work to bother with.  I can
either leave the machine for two to three hours building something based
on the default Debian configuration, or spend an hour or so manually
de-selecting the bits which I don't want (and guessing rather too much
of the time) and save myself an hour of build time.  Neither way is
terribly satisfactory.

It occurs to me that it should be possible to automate the process.  A
script to check which modules have been dynamically loaded into a
running system and feed this information back into the kernel
configuration so that every module which hasn't been loaded into the
running system gets excluded from the build.

To save re-inventing the wheel - has this been done before?

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk