[Gllug] Virus on Linux/Mac

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 15:59:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 04:46:45PM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 16:39 +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> > On the subject of spambots  -if ISPs were forced to:
> > a) block outgoing smtp port connections from all machines with dynamic IP
> > addresses
> > b) bock outgoing smtp port connections from all machines with static IP
> > addresses that havn't registered with them as a mail-sender
> >
> > that might reduce the volume of spam considerably.
>
> Yes and we could also block all other forms of traffic until to register
> to send it. Of course you'd then have no internet as providers would
> apply the same to each other.

I am with Tim here. He isn't suggesting something heavily beurocratic, merely
something simple that could help reduce spam email. It is something that
ISPs could easily do now.

It is important to understand the 'protection' that this would offer:
'owned' PCs for part of spam bot networks, directly sending out email.
The PC owner prob has outlook set up to go via his ISPs MTAs, or gets
mail via some webmail provider.

> We can either have a "safe" internet or one that works.

How would this 'break' the Internet ? An ISP customer would need
to register to say that they send mail directly; everyone else
(the vast majority) would do nothing and notice nothing.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk