[Gllug] Virus on Linux/Mac

Panos Savvas pasavvas.accounts at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 21 17:03:11 UTC 2007

Jason Clifford wrote:
> ISPs tend not to interfere with customer connections
Quite a few ISPs seems to block port 25 by default anyway.

Pete Stean wrote:
> so you'd get a terminal popping up, unrequested, asking for your root
> password?   I wouldn't be typing in my root password if that happened
> - I'd be running away from my machine thinking it had a ghost  :\  lol
how hard is it really to write a GTK application that pops up with "Ubuntu
needs to install critical updates, click to install now" (as has been
happening in win for years)? ubuntu users are used to entering a password to
install updates. end of story. sudo is only secure if you know what you are
doing, unfortunately it is also necessary for desktop linux as home users
cannot not have root access. in the workplace a root admin can be called.
linux i would assume is inherently more secure in enterprise (i would like
to see independent studies on this), however as it makes its way into homes
it will face the same issues windows has faced, hopefully we will do better
;)