[Gllug] Local (Debian) software cache/mirror

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 17:05:22 UTC 2007

Hello,
   I have maintained a local Debian cache/mirror for ages, first using
apt-proxy, then apt-cacher after problems with apt-proxy. Local updates and
installations use the local cache as a proxy, while installation discs are
built using the cache plus a Jigdo (Jigsaw Downloader) template. I am now
getting problems because multiple architectures are not available (such as
both i386 and AMD64 from the same i386-series box).
   Debian recommend using anonftpsync with regular overnight rsync updates
to build and maintain a local mirror covering one or more architectures, but
I do not want to generate excessive traffic or put an unneccessary strain on
official mirrors. Am I being too cautious?

Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk