[Gllug] [OT] SSH or VPN?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu Sep 27 09:11:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 09:39:22AM +0100, Andrew wrote:

> We also experience this problem and found the best way to have both
> VPN access and local network access is to run the VPN inside VMWare.
>
> This means that your local machine is still connected to the local
> network and the VM will be connected to the remote network.

And what is it that you do to prevent the virtual instance from
connecting to your local network?  Unless the physical machine has a
separate NIC used only by the virtual one, with separate
cabling/switching/vlanning that leads only to the Net and not to your
local network, then the virtual instance really does have access to your
local network and the assurance offered to the client is just an
illusion, surely.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill