[Gllug] [OT] SSH or VPN?

Andrew Roberts ar at nooneishere.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 11:48:18 UTC 2007

On 27/09/2007, Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org> wrote:
> And what is it that you do to prevent the virtual instance from
> connecting to your local network?  Unless the physical machine has a
> separate NIC used only by the virtual one, with separate
> cabling/switching/vlanning that leads only to the Net and not to your
> local network, then the virtual instance really does have access to your
> local network and the assurance offered to the client is just an
> illusion, surely.

The VPN clients that we use specifically deny access to the local
network. Typically, they run under Windows although I believe it is
possible to do this in Linux as well. It doesn't matter if the machine
is virtual or not in terms of separating it from the network in this
way as VMWare only provides 'console' access to the VM from the host
machine.

Perhaps Tom can clarify if this type of VPN client is in use.

Regards,
Andrew.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk