[Gllug] `arp` problem ?

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 18:31:25 UTC 2007

I don't think DNS is involved in the problem as I was doing pings using IP
addresses.

I will try pinging from another machine to see if that 'livens up' the
connection between the two affected machines.    I am also going to try
using a different connector socket on the switch in case this is in some way the
cause of the problem.

The nic on the new machine is a Netgear FA11.  I note that this is detected
by tye kernel as a realtek chip,   whereas the previous 'iodentical' Netgear
cards used a different chip.   It seems netgear swap around the chips on their
(presumably depending on which chip manufacturer is offering them the best
deal at the time !).

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk