[Gllug] Security from scratch or just stick with Astaro?

Simon Perry gllug at si-designs.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 12:32:51 UTC 2008

John Edwards wrote:

> I was going to mention m0n0wall, but decided not to as it is aimed at
> embedded systems and the original poster wanted to use a full PC. It
> doesn't contain the extra services such as Snort and Squid, but does
> more support for networking systems such as VLAN, SNMP and wireless

Thought it might be useful as the OP said he didn't want to update the
old PC kit he has.

> And it based on FreeBSD, not Linux, so if you want to understand the
> nuts and bolts it will take some more learning.

But learning is always fun.

>> IIRC IPcop's development plan is to use monowall as it's
>> future base distribution.
>
> Where did you hear?

I'm sure I read it on the development road map on the Ipcop site within
the last couple of years. The internet archive hasn't archived the road
map page so I can't be sure.

> It's *completely* wrong, they are still using Linux and LFS
> (Linux From Scratch) as the build system for the 2.0 version.
You are quite right.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk