[Gllug] Security from scratch or just stick with Astaro?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 13:05:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 01:32:51PM +0100, Simon Perry wrote:
> John Edwards wrote:
>
>> I was going to mention m0n0wall, but decided not to as it is aimed at
>> embedded systems and the original poster wanted to use a full PC. It
>> doesn't contain the extra services such as Snort and Squid, but does
>> more support for networking systems such as VLAN, SNMP and wireless
>
> Thought it might be useful as the OP said he didn't want to update the
> old PC kit he has.

I don't think a P3-450 with 512MB RAM is that low powered. I've got
IPCop still running on a couple of 75MHz Pentiums with 64MB RAM.

>> And it based on FreeBSD, not Linux, so if you want to understand the
>> nuts and bolts it will take some more learning.
>
> But learning is always fun.

Sure, but sometimes you didn't have the time.

>>> IIRC IPcop's development plan is to use monowall as it's
>>> future base distribution.
>>
>> Where did you hear?
>
> I'm sure I read it on the development road map on the Ipcop site within
> the last couple of years. The internet archive hasn't archived the road
> map page so I can't be sure.

I think I understand now. That was probably "shorewall", which
is an iptables configuration system.

Sorry if I was a bit short, but there have been a few incorrect
rumours wandering around.